Friday, April 21, 2006

Ravioli with asparagus


"Olive oil? Asparagus? If your mother wasn't so fancy, we could shop at the gas station like normal people." Homer Simpson

Thats a springtime classic. I should have made the ravioli myself. But I wanted this for a picnic and since it wouldn’t be served immediately and would be eaten cold, I thought “why bother”.
I was inspired to make this recipe by Jamie Oliver’s asparagus recipes and by several I found on the internet. And of course by Homer.

For 4 servings you’ll need

  • 1 big packet of ravioli or 2 small ones. You need about 40-50 ravioli.
  • 2-3 tbsps olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 5 tbsps mascarpone or other cream cheese
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • About 12 asparagus
  • ½ cup chopped basil or mint
  • Salt- pepper
  • Grated parmesan to serve
You don’t need a knife to cut asparagus. Just bend the spear until you see where it breaks naturally. Snap off there and they are ready to be cooked.
Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté garlic.
Add the asparagus and sauté for 3 minutes.
Stir in the butter and add the vegetable stock. Lower heat and cook the ravioli in salted, boiling water.
When they float to the top they are ready. But because I never believe science, I try one.
Drain ravioli and add to the asparagus sauce. Add the mascarpone, but keep 4 teaspoons aside for serving. Season to taste. Serve with some more mascarpone on top, parmesan and chopped basil or mint leaves.