Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Pasta Power


“Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
Federico Fellini

My favourite scene from my favourite movie Lost in Translation, is the one where Bob (Bill Murray) realizes that the situation with his wife is rather irreversible and tries to tell her so on the phone, while he is soaking in the jacuzzi of the Japanese hotel. So he starts by telling her that something has to change but then chickens out and ends up saying “I don't know. I just want to get healthy. I would like to start taking better care of myself. I'd like to start eating healthier - I don't want all that pasta. I would like to start eating like Japanese food.”
Yes, blame it on the pasta Bob.
When I am stressed or worn out, I want to eat pasta. The ideal would be to make my own pasta (although, not penne, that would be a miracle in itself) but when I am tired, the last thing I want to do is make dough. Or
maybe not. It might turn out to be soothing.

Baked penne with spinach and cheese

4-5 servings

  • 1 packet penne
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 spring onions, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fennel
  • 500 gr chopped spinach
  • 230 gr gruyere cheese, grated
  • 300 ml single cream
  • 120 gr feta cheese, crumbled
  • 10-15 green olives sliced
Cook pasta in salted, boiling water. In a pan, heat olive oil and sauté onions and garlic. Add spinach and fennel and cook until the vegetables are tender.
In a baking dish, combine penne and spinach. Add gruyere cheese and crumbled feta. Mix everything very well together.
Bake in 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4 until all cheeses have melted and the food has a nice golden colour. Sprinkle each dish with sliced olives and serve hot.

No comments: