Saturday, August 05, 2006

Haloumi and grape salad


It is boiling hot in Athens. I cannot bear to be in the kitchen, at least not too far from the fridge where it is cool. So, no cooking. We have to make do with salads and fruit and cheese.
Really, I have never asked you: Do you like mixing fruit and vegetables? Or are you strict purists?
I do not like all combinations, my absolute worst is watermelon and feta cheese, which totally kills off the freshness of the watermelon.
So, what is your favourite fruit and vegetable combination? (erm, wine and a green salad don't count).

For 3 servings

  • 200 gr shredded lettuce leaves or other salad greens
  • 150 gr seedless grapes
  • 250 gr haloumi cheese
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts
  • 3 tablespoons chopped parsley

For the dressing

  • 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • Salt – pepper

Toss walnuts and grapes with mixed salad greens or lettuce. Add pine nuts, parsley, and the cheese.
Dress the salad with olive oil and lemon juice. Season to taste. Serve cold.

6 comments:

Mindy T. said...

I'm going to try this soon... like tonight!

http://mindycooks.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

hi stevi,
I added to you my links. thanks for your support!
tijen

Anonymous said...

Sound interesting! I love greek food and you seem to lean heavily on it...I'm going to have to go off and create some greek recipes now, I'm inspired.

Anonymous said...

I like spinach salad with mushrooms, fresh orange sections and walnuts with a vinagrette with some orange juice in it.

Linda said...

just looking at this salad makes me feel like i'm sitting on a mountain top in Italy overlooking a massive vineyard - oh wouldn't it be lovely. delish. thank you!

John Socrates Loyola said...

Thanks for the tip. I'd love to try it any time soon. For more about grapes and grape growing, visit here: http://goinggrapes.com/